Wednesday, February 6, 2008

George Beres - An Independent View: Ending Cubs Curse

Springfield strawberry patch could end infamous baseball curse

By George Beres
For the Beacon

Springfield could have a role in ending the greatest all-time curse of sports history. What makes it possible is my chance encounter some years ago with two fellow strawberry lovers in a Springfield U-pick patch. Out of that chance meeting came the idea for an exorcism of the notorious baseball curse.

The hex in question is known among baseball fans everywhere as the Billy Goat curse. It was invoked by a Greek barkkeep in Chicago in 1945. That was the last time the Chicago Cubs ever played in the World Series, even though to that time they had played in more of them than any other National League team. The barkkeep was thrown out of one of the games against Detroit because he had brought with him his tethered goat to sit in one of his two box seats.

Fans complained of the barnyard fragrance, and as security police ushered him and his goat out, the man sputtered in broken English. “Okay! Okay! We go. But never again will World Series be played in this stadium.” True to his curse, the stadium- Wrigley Field, the oldest in the league- has not hosted another Series game in 62 years.

The barkkeep’s name: Sam Sianis. It will have a familiar ring for some area residents, as his cousin, Harry, once operated the Original Joe’s Restaurant across from Eugene’s Hult Center for the Performing Arts.

That brings us back to the Springfield strawberry patch where I met Harry’s wife, Alexandra, and daughter, Katina. It was quiet there except for their lively banter in Greek, a language I understand. I greeted them in our second language. When Momma said their name was Sianis, I said, “I know of a Sianis who has become famous in Chicago where I used to live.”

The elder responded with mock tolerance, “Yes, yes, he is our `koumparo’, the cousin of my husband and the godfather of my daughter.” As a lifelong, frustrated Cubs fan, I suddenly saw possibilities for ending the curse.

“I’ll be in Chicago next month,” I told them. “Do you think your `koumparo’ would discuss the baseball curse with me?”

“Of course,” Alexandra answered. “He discusses it with everyone he meets. Go to his bar, and tell him I said he should give you a free beer and what he calls a cheeseborrger.”

Weeks later, I was sitting with Sam in his bar, enjoying a free beer and cheeseborrger. When I suggested an exorcism of the Billy Goat curse, he said, “Bravo.” He had milked the curse for all the attention he could get. Now he could see chances for more free publicity if he were to cooperate in reversing the curse.

My next step was to visit with actor Don Novello, who portrays Fr. Guido Sarducci on the “Saturday Night Live” TV show. We met the evening of his appearance at the Britt Festival in Jacksonville. He agreed he was the one to exorcise the ballpark. A psuedo-cleric could pull the stunt the Catholic Church would not allow one of its priests to do. Only one hitch: someone would have to sponsor the event so he could get his five-figure appearance fee.

I’m trying to find an organization that can pay that fee. Maybe a potato chip? Or a beer? Or maybe even a chewing gum like Wrigley’s Juicy Fruit?

When that day comes, Father Guido will exorcise Wrigley Field. Then the Cubs will win the pennant after lo these many years- and a Springfield strawberry patch will earn lasting fame.

No comments: